Saturday, December 15, 2012

Muhammad would be rapidly moving along up a center aisle from the rear-as once he hadentered our hum

  Mr. Muhammad would be rapidly moving along up a center aisle from the rear-as once he hadentered our humble little mosques-this man whom we regarded as Islam's gentle, meek, brown-skinned Lamb. Stalwart, striding, close-cropped, hand-picked Fruit of Islam guards were a circlesurrounding him. He carried his Holy Bible, his holy Quran. The small, dark pillbox atop his head wasgold-embroidered with Islam's flag, the sun, moon, and stars. The Muslims were crying out theiradoration and their welcome. "Little Lamb!" "As-Salaikum-Salaam!" "Praise be to Allah!"Tears would be in more eyes than mine. He had rescued me when I was a convict; Mr. Muhammadhad trained me in his home, as if I was his son. I think that my life's peaks of emotion, until recently, atleast, were when, suddenly, the Fruit of Islam guards would stop stiffly at attention, and theplatform's several steps would be mounted alone by Mr. Muhammad, and his ministers, including me,sprang around him, embracing him, wringing both his hands . . . .
  I would turn right back to the microphone, not to keep waiting those world's biggest black audienceswho had come to hear him.
  "My black brothers and sisters-_no_ one will know _who_ we are . . . until _we_ know who we are! Wenever will be able to _go_ anywhere until we know _where_ we are! The Honorable ElijahMuhammad is giving us a true identity, and a true position-the first time they have ever been_known_ to the American black man!
  "You can be around this man and never dream from his actions the power and the authority he has-"(Behind me, believe me when I tell you, I could _feel_ Mr. Muhammad's _power_.)"He does not _display_, and _parade_, his _power_! But no other black leader in America has followers who will lay down their lives if he says so! And I don't mean all of this non-violent, begging-the-white-man kind of dying . . . all of this sitting-in, sliding-in, wading-in, eating-in, diving-in, and allthe rest"My black brothers and sisters, you have come from your homes to hear-now you are _going_ to hear-America's _wisest_ black man! America's _boldest_ black man! America's most _fearless_ black man!
  This wilderness of North America's most _powerful_ black man!"Mr. Muhammad would come quickly to the stand, looking out over the vacuum-quiet audience, hisgentle-looking face set, for just a fleeting moment. Then, "As-Salaikum-Salaam-'
  " WA-ALAIKUM-SALAAM!"The Muslims roared it, as they settled to listen. From experience, they knew that for the next twohours Mr. Muhammad would wield his two-edged sword of truth. In fact, every Muslim worried thathe overtaxed himself in the length of his speeches, considering his bronchial asthmatic condition.
  "I don't have a degree like many of you out there before me have. But history don't care anythingabout your degrees.
  "The white man, he has filled you with a fear of him from ever since you were little black babies. Soover you is the greatest enemy a man can have-and that is fear. I know some of you are afraid to listento the truth-you have been raised on fear and lies. But I am going to preach to you the truth until youare free of thatfear .. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment